Ongoing Formation Requirements for Catechetical Leaders
What is required for this component?
Upon completion of the certification process, individuals are required to maintain their standing through participation in continuing education and formation offerings each year. This includes all those who received their certification in prior years.
Click here to access the Ongoing Development Record Form (updated August 2021).
To fulfill this requirement, each year one must have 20 formation hours* completed and verified. Below are some approved methods to complete these hours:
- Complete one (1) undergrad or graduate course in theology or related field
- Attend two (2) day-long diocesan training workshops or take a variety of webinars
- Attend one (1) national/regional Catholic Conference
- Read one or more books from the list below.
- Other form of development pre-approved by the Office of Lifelong Faith Formation (OLFF).
Find curated ideas here. If you have any questions whatsoever regarding whether your choice of ongoing formation will be approved, contact any of the staff from the OLFF.
Each individual is responsible for sending documentation of the above to the Office of Lifelong Faith Formation (Georgette.email@example.com) by the end of each fiscal year (June 30). This only needs to be done after all 20 hrs. have been completed.
If a workshop/training/course has any documentation for CEU's, we will honor those hours as listed (proof of CEU's must be presented to us).
Up to five hours of documented ongoing formation can be "rolled over" to the following year.
Formation through Reading
The book option offers certified parish catechetical leaders the opportunity to complete up to ten (10) of the ongoing formation hours each year through the following process:
- Pick a book from the pre-approved list
- Read the book
- Prepare a list of three (3) pieces of information that you learned and how they can be used in your parish ministry.
- Email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call Georgette if you have any questions regarding this option or process
- 31 Days to Becoming a Better Religious Educator - Jared Dees (Ave Maria Press)
- Common Sense Catechesis - Fr. Robert Hader (Our Sunday Visitor)
- Engaging a New Generation - Frank Mercadante (Our Sunday Visitor)
- For Ages Unending (Liturgy and Adolescents) - NFCYM
- Forming Intentional Disciples - Sherry Weddell (Our Sunday Visitor)
- Handbook for Adaptive Catechesis* - Ligouri Publications
- Handbook for Classroom Management* - Ligouri Publications
- The Joy of Adolescent Catechesis* - Partnership for Adolescent Catechesis
- Redeeming Administration - Ann Garrido (Ave Maria Press)
- Spirituality of the Catechist - Janet Schaeffler (Twenty-Third Publications)
- Under the Influence: Transforming Experience of Encountering Christ - Joe Paprocki (Loyola Press)
- The Way of Catechesis - Gerard F. Baumbach (Ave Maria Press)
Click for Spring 2020 additions
*These books provide only 5 hours of ongoing formation.